Master of Science in Statistics
“I keep saying that the sexy job in the next 10 years will be statisticians,” said Hal Varian, chief economist at Google. “And I’m not kidding.” "For Today’s Graduate, Just One Word: Statistics", NY Times, August 5, 2009
Join one of the world leading universities for a program that boosts your career!
The program is aimed at a wide variety of students who are interested in statistics. A Bachelor's or Master's degree, a solid background in Mathematics and Computer Science (see FAQ for prospective students) and very good grades are expected.
Structure of the program
The diploma requires in total 90 credit points: 60 credits from core courses and elective courses from both statistics/mathematics and a field of application and 30 credits from the Master thesis. Students usually need three or four semesters to finish our program. More details can be found in the FAQ for current students.
Tracks are no official part of your degree, but we suggest that you focus your studies in a specific direction. A great variety of directions is possible. We give three detailed suggestions as examples for possible study tracks: Basic, Data Science, Biostatistics. These tracks should help you to focus; they will not be mentioned on your diploma certificate. For more details on the available lectures please consult our course catalogue (Programme: Statistics Master).
Our program gives an excellent start for future careers in: universities, research institutes, pharmaceutical industry, insurance industry, financial industry, marketing, statistical consulting, data science, ...
Job opportunities for statisticians are generally excellent.
Why consider ETH Zürich?
- ETH Zürich is one of the leading universities in the world and considered the best university in continental Europe (Source: "QS World University Rankings Results 2016/2017" on rank 8 world wide)
- ETH Zürich has a very active research group and offers a large variety of high-level lectures that bring you to the cutting edge of statistics (Rank 9 world wide: QS World University Rankings by Subject 2016 - Statistics).
- A mentoring program helps you to find your way and make clever study decisions. An internal networking platform and regular get-togethers help you socialize.
Application and admission process
For details on the application process, please visit the official site for Master applications.
More details about admission rules are explained in the FAQ for prospective students and the regulations (German) (PDF, 258 KB). (If you entered before Fall 2014, the old regulations (German) (PDF, 208 KB) apply to you.)
Our study guide ("Wegleitung") is in the form of Frequently Asked Questions:
- FAQ for prospective students
- FAQ for current students
- FAQ for the time after you've finished (Alumni)
Director of studies: